Thursday 6 February 2014

On the first week of school...

This week has been an interesting one for me. Monday and Tuesday were teacher only days (or as my calendar at home puts it "pupil free days"!) where we discussed our school curriculum, and had refreshers in Literacy, Numeracy & ICT. We also had some team building with the Joshua Foundation ... which was a lot better than I feared :)

Because Thursday was a national holiday, that meant I only had 2 days this week with my students. The first day, we did a LOT of talking - mostly me talking in response to questions from them about their year to come. I got the feeling there was quite a bit of anxiousness, so I took some time to explain a few things and that seemed to help.

There are a lot of expectations put upon these kids - from me, from our school, from their parents. So part of my role is to help manage their workload. I set some clear guidelines for how they can improve their self-management skills, and an expectation that I wouldn't be there to remind them constantly about things being due.

Today (our second day), our two head students had organised a community fun day. The Year 7 & 8's were each put in charge of a station, and ran things from 11am - 3pm. They did so well, I was really proud of them! I saw lots of engaged students putting themselves out there, explaining things to younger students, encouraging and supporting them to do their best. I had LOADS of positive comments about the work they were doing... it was great for raising their profiles in the school!

Next week I hope to start some more formal learning, although we are organising the first school assembly too, so that might take some of our time!

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the start of the school year is really busy. I have tried to start one thing at a time rather than expect everything to happen at once but halfway through Week 3 I'm still searching for our class daily rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that others struggle with the same thing - makes me feel a bit better about my abilities as a teacher :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the ICT guidance... may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I shall endeavour to maintain my own high standards :)

      Delete