Wednesday 21 May 2014

Drowning in email

I've recently been on a quest to try and reduce my time spent on emails. I always seem to have about a million of them unread in my inbox! One of the things I've done is review all my subscriptions to see which ones are actually worth keeping. If you subscribe to a list or newsletter, but never read any of the messages from that list, is it really worth staying connected? I've decided it's better for me to subscribe to only a few high-quality lists instead. That way, I know I'm getting messages that can actually help me improve my teaching practice (and why would I bother wasting time on anything that didn't help me?). So far, these are the lists that have made the 'keep' list:

1. Common Sense Media
This non-profit organisation has a huge resource bank for educators as well as parents. It's quickly becoming one of my 'go-to' websites when it comes to cyber safety, emerging technologies, and best practice with IT. Their newsletter always has something interesting (like this link on using Sketch for digital storytelling, with a very handy project outline that ties in BEAUTIFULLY with my current science topic!)

2. Interface Magazine
I love the fact that Interface is a NZ publication focusing on how technologies are being developed and used in NZ classrooms. There's always something to inspire me in their mags, and their newsletters send the best of that straight to my inbox.


It's a pretty small list, I know, but it's still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment